We’re rounding out our annual Halloween Extravaganza with this adorable (and very easy!) harlequin costume.
- Skipper Bodysuit pattern (available to Patreon members)
- Harlequin diamond print fabric (we used the modern jersey substrate)
- Harlequin Hat
- Chiffon pompoms
- Harlequin Neck Ruffle
- Fishnet tights
- Corset (or you can use the Waspie Corset Belt)
Follow the steps in our Witch Hat Tutorial, omitting the brim and adding an extra 2 inches of seam allowance to the length of the silk dupioni cone. We used pink silk dupioni and pink felt from our stash, plus nylon chiffon dyed black for the pompoms. Follow our step-by-step pompom tutorial here. You’ll also want a 12-inch piece of tubular elastic to help secure the hat to your head.
Harlequin Neck Ruffle
- 2-inch-wide pink dupioni bias strip, approximately 48 inches long, for the ties
- Four black nylon chiffon strips measuring 4 1/2 inches by 36 inches
- Four pink nylon tulle strips measuring 4 1/2 inches by 36 inches
Note: We determined the length of our chiffon and tulle strips by multiplying the neck measurement by 3. You can vary your ruffle fullness by adding or removing length.
- Layer your fabric so you have 2 chiffon, 2 tulle, 2 chiffon, 2 tulle. Pin along one long edge. Sew gathering stitches along the long edge, being sure to catch all 8 layers. Gather to your neck measurement minus 1 inch.
- Attach the silk bias binding to the gathered ruffle edge, leaving equal amounts of binding on either side of the ruffle to become your ties. Trim the chiffon/tulle seam allowance and fold binding over ruffle. Pin into place, and pin ties to enclose seam allowances.
- Edgestitch ties and stitch in the ditch to secure bias binding around ruffle. Try on the ruffle, using the ties to create a bow. Trim tie ends to the desired length.