Growing up, I was absolutely obsessed with Pee Wee’s Playhouse, and Miss Yvonne was one of my favorite characters. Although I haven’t had time to make this costume this year’s Halloween Extravaganza, it’s definitely in my to-sew pile! Not only is a perfect Miss Yvonne costume, it’s also a very wearable and adorable summer dress!
If you’d like to dress up like the Most Beautiful Woman in Puppetland, you’ll need just two patterns (a bodice and skirt), and some wonderfully pink and polka-dot fabric.
Resources for the Miss Yvonne Costume
- Lana Dress pattern for the bodice, or you can use the Barbara Bodice or even the Gina Bustier (using narrow straps)
- Liz Dress skirt pattern, or any very full gathered skirt
- Pink taffeta for the dress, like this lovely silk
- Polka-dot chiffon for the skirt ruffle
- Brunette bouffant wig
- Matching pearl or bead necklace, bracelet, and earrings set
- The fluffiest petticoat you can find in white, cream, or light pink
- Pink heels
- Purple eyeshadow!
Make the dress bodice in pink taffeta following the instructions, adding narrow straps. If you are using the Lana Dress, omit the bust petal.
Make the Liz skirt (or any very very full gathered skirt) in pink taffeta, shortening it by about eight inches. Add a gathered rectangle (eight inches by at least 2-1/2 times the hem circumference of the shortened skirt) out of the polka dot chiffon for the ruffle. Use a narrow hem sewing machine foot to make it easy to finish the chiffon hem.
Attach the bodice to the skirt as usual, and accessorize!