Howdy everyone! I’m so excited to bring you my faux smile pockets tutorial – a quick and easy way to add some western flair to your Patsy Blouse. I love how quickly this transforms the whole feel of a garment – go from prim and proper to full Patsy Cline in just minutes! And best of all, there’s no huge supplies list – grab some cord and a scrap of leather, and you’re good to go! I’ve included a video tutorial as well as written instructions below!
- One yard cording
- Small scrap of leather or suede (I used this leather trim pack)
- Trace smile pockets placement line from Patsy Blouse center front piece onto your garment.
- Cut four pieces of cording the length of the smile pocket lines.
- Line up one cord below one smile pocket placement line and zigzag stitch cord in place by machine or hand-sew cord in place with a couching stitch.
- Repeat with a second piece of cord above the placement line.
- Make a triangle template with sturdy cardstock that is roughly ⅝” wide and long.
- Trace around the template onto a scrap of leather or suede.
- Cut template 4 times out of leather and position one at each end of cord “smiles”, overlapping cord ends by ⅛”, and edgestitch around triangles.
I can’t wait to see how you wear your Faux Smile Pockets. Happy sewing!