I absolutely adore The Good Place (if you haven’t yet seen it – it’s one of the smartest shows on TV and an absolute must!), and I’ve always wanted to dress up like Janet.
Using a few quick Halloween hacks to our Patsy Blouse, Lady Dandy Waistcoat, and Charm Circle Skirt patterns, now I can – and you can, too!
- Patsy Blouse pattern (balloon sleeve and band collar options)
- Charm Circle Skirt pattern
- Lady Dandy Waistcoat pattern (available to Patreon members)
- Free Janet Jabot pattern (available here). Print the pages at full size (without scaling to fit), and tape together along the indicated lines.
- Purple wool crepe (from our stash, but similar to this)
- Janet’s shirt fabric (from Spoonflower in poly crepe de chine). Buy what you need for the blouse, plus an additional half yard for the jabot and bow.
Blouse and Jabot Instructions
A jabot is a ruffled fabric embellishment along the neckline and front button placket of the blouse. Follow these instructions to add one to your Patsy Blouse:
- Cut 4 fabric pieces for the jabot, and pin right sides together to create the right and left jabot ruffles. Stitch along outer curved edge and straight edge with a 5/8-inch seam allowance. Trim and grade the seam allowance. Flip so the jabot is right side out and press. Baste along the curved edge and inner circle.
- After sewing the front darts on the Patsy Blouse, pin the short curved edge of the jabot around the neckline and pin the inner circle down the center front of the Patsy blouse, with the wrong side of the jabot to the right side of the blouse front. Baste into place.
- Attach the Patsy Blouse placket, and follow all remaining blouse instructions as written.
- Top it off with a bow at the neckline! We made a tie bow from a 30-inch long by 2-1/4 inch wide rectangle of blouse fabric. Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and stitch around the open sides using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, leaving an opening in the center to turn right side out. Turn rigth side out, press, and stitch opening closed. Tie into a bow and hand-tack at the neckline of the blouse, just above the button hole on the right side of the band collar. (Alternatively, make the bow removable by attaching it to a brooch pin!)