Hey campers! This ’40s-style garrison cap was inspired by vintage scouting uniforms and the fabulous Phyllis Neffler in Troop Beverly Hills. But its uses far exceed just campy fun! This style of hat is well known for its prevalence in all types of uniforms: military, stewardess, soda jerk, Britney Spears in “Toxic,” the list goes on and on. Use this pattern for your next cosplay or historical costuming project—or just make a chic vintage-style topper to wear with tailored looks! The possibilities are endless. Don’t forget to watch the YouTube video for a start-to-finish tutorial on sewing this hat.
Charm Scout Hat Supplies
• ¼ yd (0.2 m) fabric for hat
• ¼ yd (0.2 m) fabric for lining
• Thread to match your fabric
• ¼ yd (0.2 m) fusible interfacing for hat band (weft, woven, or lightweight knit interfacing)
• 1 yd (0.9 m) packaged piping
Charm Scout Hat Fabric Notes
We recommend medium-weight wovens: wool flannel, crepe, double crepe, and gabardine; cotton twill, sateen, or canvas; denim; linen and linen blends; and suitings.